top of page
  • Writer's pictureNikolaj Widenmann

Who Can Translate Immigration Documents in the U.S.?

Who Can Translate Immigration Documents in the U.S.?

Unlike many other countries, the United States has no universal rules that define a #CertifiedTranslation or who can perform one.

The United States government does not have a roster of approved translators for immigration purposes. This means you have to shop carefully to find the right translator who can provide a certified translation.

The United States Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS) requires that “Any document containing foreign language submitted to USCIS shall be accompanied by a full English language translation which the translator has certified as complete and accurate, and by the translator's certification that he or she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English” (see 8 CFR 103.2(b)(3)).

An inaccurate or incomplete translation may result in rejection by USCIS. The same applies if the certification of translation is missing or does not meet USCIS requirements. This can lead to serious delays, potential denial or revocation of immigration benefits, and other adverse consequences.

To make sure that your translation is accepted, use a professional translator who specializes in legal translation. I am personally certified by the American Translators Association (Spanish into English and Danish into English). Over the years, I have performed numerous certified translations of documents into English for immigration purposes. I also translate from Norwegian and Swedish into English.

My company, WTS Translations, offers certified translations for legal and academic use in the United States and for some other countries as well. We guarantee USCIS acceptance of our translations.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page